Information Gujarat's Mundra Port & Special Economic Zone
In this blog, we discuss all detailed information Gujarat’s Mundra port & Special Economic Zone. On the north shores of the Gulf of Kutch near Mundra, the Mundra port serves as both a private and a container port. Therefore, it handled 144.4 million tons (MT) of cargo in FY 2020-21. In addition to handling dry cargo, liquid cargo, crude cargo, and containers, Mundra port also boasts the largest coal import terminal in the country which facilitates faster cargo evacuation with minimal turnaround time. The port is also designated as a special economic zone (SEZ). As a result, Gujarat Mundra port is a special economic zone (SEZ). So, this gives it the capability to handle dry cargo. It also handles liquid cargo, crude cargo, as well as containers. The port is also home to India’s largest coal import terminal.
A Positive Aspect of the Location
Consequently, SEZs are duty-free zones in India where customs laws do not apply. To clarify, the port SEZ has 8400 hectares of land, of which half is unoccupied. Also, Gujarat is India’s largest coastal state, with the longest coastline of all the states, measuring 992 miles (1,596 km). No part of Gujarat is further than 100 miles (160 km) from the sea.
Additionally, Mundra offers an ideal base for traders due to its relatively short logistics connections to the north-western hinterland. Furthermore, for the export of cargo, it is easy to reach all major industrial destinations.
However, these destinations include Delhi, Haryana, Punjab, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, and Himachal Pradesh.
Mundra is also accessible via sea route to all major global markets. On the other hand, that includes the Middle East, Europe, the United States, Africa, South Asia, and the Indian subcontinent.
Managerial Responsibilities of the Port
For instance, this port is operated by Adani Ports and Special Economic Zone Limited (APSEZ), which is India’s largest commercial port operator and handles nearly a quarter of the country’s cargo.
Above all, Adani Ports and Special Economic Zone Limited (APSEZ) operates Gujarat Mundra port, one of India’s biggest commercial ports. Nearly, 1/4th of the country’s cargo is moved through the port.
Certainly, there are 12 APSEZ ports in 7 maritime Indian states – Odisha, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, Goa, Maharashtra, and Gujarat. Further, the Hindu Business Line reported that in June. Moreover, the French container shipping group CMA CGM S A had “had to withdraw from its deal to sell a 50% stake in ACMTPL to the Chinese state-run CMP”. In addition, as a matter of security, Indian law does not allow firms or entities with Chinese links access to the ports sector.
An Overview of the Infrastructure at Gujarat Mundra Port
Meanwhile, Mundra consists of several covered godowns and open yards where large volumes of cargo can be stored.
Covered Godown – At any given time, they can store more than 630,000 MT of cargo.
Open Yards – Minerals, lumber, steel, and project cargo fill 1.06 million sq. meters of space.
Tank Farm – It has 97 tanks with a capacity of 426,000 KL. They store petroleum oils, petrochemicals, chemicals, and vegetable oils. Also, it has a radar gauging system that provides accurate and real-time monitoring.
During, Mundra’s port allows for receiving and shipping cargo by land, air, sea, rail, conveyors, and pipelines. Subsequently, the port can handle up to 80 rail rakes per day for inbound and outbound cargo. After that, separate sidings are available for agriculture, fertilizer, coal, and liquid cargo.
Likewise, the port has 4 to 6 lanes of road connectivity. Similarly, this makes it easy for cargo to move to and from the port.
Trade Activity Can Be Uninterrupted With These Features
- 365 days of the year, no restrictions on LOA (length overall).
- All berthing, stevedoring, backup handling and dispatch issues can be handled from one point by Mundra APSEZ.
- This modern facility allows traders to benefit from spot future arbitrage by consolidating cargo.
- A high-heaping machine for heaping cargo in an open plot.
- Complete covering of cargo during monsoon.
- During the monsoon, all cargo will be covered.
- A berth that can handle Panamax and capsized vessels.
- Providing Goliath cranes coupled with vacuum lifters for scratch-free handling of steel pipes.
- Coastal movement infrastructure.
Connectivity Infrastructure at Ports
In conclusion, Multimodal connectivity by Mundra offers savings on operational expenses. Because of its integrated logistics connectivity for raw materials and finished products:
1. Specialized handling facilities for multiple products
2. Improved efficiency and safety standards
3. A great connection to the hinterlands of India and to all the major ports in the world
To sum up, with Mudra port’s rail network connected to the national rail network, cargo can be handled at any location in India. There is no need to handle commodities more than once, which results in reduced handling losses.
1. In addition to the 210 km of rail routes, APSEZ owns five locomotives. Above all connect the 210 km of the rail network to the national grid.
In July, a special container train carried 180 empty shipping containers. In short, it departed from Gujarat Mundra port to Jaipur to support local export-related businesses. Due to the pandemic-related container shortage in Rajasthan.
1. State highways SH-6 and SH-48 connect with national highways NH-8A and NH-8.
2. An intricate network of roads and flyovers.
3. An extension of the NH-8A will allow direct access to APSEZ.
4. Transportation to the north-western hinterland is close by.
1. Therefore, a private use category for Mundra airstrip. Its present runway length is 2,200 meters. But, it can be extended up to 4,000 meters, if larger aircraft are used.
2. As a result, on 1000 hectares, a logistics hub, maintenance repair overhaul (MRO), and terminals will be developed.
3. So, domestic airports are Bhuj (37.28 mi/60 km) and Kandla (31.06 mi/50 km). While the nearest international airport is Ahmedabad (248.54 mi/400 km).
4. Consequently, from Mumbai to Kandla/Bhuj, there are daily flights.
Infrastructure for Terminal Handling
There are multiple terminals at the port that handle ships of different kinds at the same time:
1. Also, among the ports for dry cargo services are Grab Ship Unloaders and Mobile Harbor Cranes. They can quickly unload and load vessels..
2. In addition to extensive support equipment, such as excavators, payloaders, and mobile equipment, the entire terminal operates continuously and smoothly.
3. There is also a conveyor system for smooth and fast transit of goods through the port.
4. Furthermore, several types of pipelines are in place in the port to allow efficient handling of liquid cargo.
5. However, quay cranes mounted on rails are available for handling containers.
What Cargo Services are Available at Gujarat Mundra Port?
Handling of Bulk and Break Bulk:
On the other hand, a deep draft berth and multipurpose terminals at the port handle the largest bulk carriers. For instance, it has high-capacity covered and open storage areas. Above all, we are handling expertise in handling diversified and overweight or oversized cargo. It includes such as fertilizer, agricultural products, minerals, and steel.
Certainly, through innovative logistics solutions, faster vessel turnarounds, and double-stacked trains, the port offers a customer-centric approach to logistics. In addition to serving as a gateway to cargo clusters in the north and northwest of India. Further, Gujarat Mundra port provides exporters and importers with a logistics cost advantage.
- Connectivity of multiple means of transport for smooth movement of cargo
- 4 container terminals with a combined capacity of 7.5 million TEU
- Services offer in Gujarat Mundra port for the past 35 years. They offer global shopping coverage
- EDI installation for recording service requests, ship and container status updates as well as billing
Crude Key Service Capabilities:
- Two single-point docking options for imported crude oil.
- Ability to operate VLCC (very large crude carriers) and ultra-large crude carriers.
- Transportation to refineries in North India via a pipeline network between countries.
Moreover, the Gujarat Mundra port has multiple berths with pipelines from the jetty to the tank farm. In addition, this ensures the safe and efficient handling of liquid products.
Meanwhile, oil, chemicals, petroleum, and petroleum products (POLs) are among the liquid cargoes that can be stored in the tank farm. In the enclosure for POL cargo, the tanks have an insulating structure and a floating roof. During, this structure ensures the safe and non-contaminating handling of cargo.
Subsequently, we have SS tanks, CS tanks, and MS tanks. So that, we are able to store a wide variety of chemicals and petrochemicals.
Other Service Capabilities
- Heating and heat tracing provided by dedicated tanks
- Handles various and range of vegetable oil products (edible and non-edible qualities)
- More than 460,000 liters of tank storage
- The port of Mundra is the only one handling bulk bitumen on India’s northwest coast.
Various cargo types (LNG, crude, RO-RO, bulk cargo, etc.), as well as sizes (VLCC, Panamax, Suezmax, etc.), handled at Gujarat Mundra port.
Other Service Capabilities
- Capable of conducting FiFi and oil spill combat operations
- State-of-the-art maneuverability instead of 360-degree Azimuth Stern Drive directional propellers
- Capable of performing navigation buoy maintenance.
- Full-extension dive support vessel for surface supplied air diving
- Competent to perform rescue operations
- Management of the largest volume of cargo and ships in the country under a single company
Roll - On - Roll - Off Facility for Auto Exports
In 2009, Gujarat Mundra Port opened its Automobile Loading and Unloading (RO-RO) Terminal to serve as a port of entry for automakers located in Delhi, Rajasthan, and Gujarat. Mundra Port handles exports of cars, buses, and trucks.
Other Service Capabilities
- Highly innovative floating pontoon and linkspan that performs round-the-clock RO-RO operations without any tidal restriction. This makes it one-of-its-kind in India.
- Buffer yard along with a washing facility for parking and washing of vehicles.
The Gujarat Mundra Port and Special Economic Zone: Fiscal Benefits
- Waive state taxes and entrance tax.
- 100% exemption on export earnings for the first five years and 50% for the next five years.
- 50% exemption on reinvested earnings for five years after the first 10 years.
- Exemption from special taxes, customs duties, taxes on services, VAT, stamps, and leases.
- The National Tariff Area (DTA) supplier is eligible for export benefits on SEZ sales, allowing for competitive procurement costs.
- Exemption from electricity tax for 10 years from the date of commencement of operations.
- Offshore banking units (OBUs) can provide cost-competitive financing.
- It is possible to request commercial loans of up to US$500 million without any prior approval.
To Know More
- Import/Export, cargo mode: Air, sea, and by land.
- Routine shipment, home consumption (duties paid)
- Ex-Bond/In-Bond shipment
- Shipments of DEPB, EPCG, and DFCEC licenses
- 100% EOU / STPI / SEZ / TP for ship spares / R&D certification / passbook scheme
- Import clearance for a project
- Direct deliver perishables and certain cargo
- Re-import after repairs / exhibition
- Clearance of third-country exports
- ATA carnet clearance
- Second-hand capital goods
- Free-of-charges shipments
- Courier clearance
- Door to door delivery
There are certain certificates that you must obtain from the concerned departments regarding the following items:
- Registration From Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) (For Food/Edible Import Consignments)
- Animal Quarantine Certificate (A&Q) Required import in india (For animal, animal parts, animal feed, etc. )
- Plant and Protection Quarantine Certificate/ import permit plus Fumigation treatment Certificate are required for the import of plant material (For seeds, plant and plant thereof)
- Drug & Cosmetics Act, 1940, No-objection Certificate (NOC) from Assistant Drug Controller(ADC) (is mandatory for the import of drugs/bulk drugs, etc.)
- BIS, Bureau of Indian Standards BIS is responsible for the harmonious development of the activities of standardization, marking and quality certification of goods and for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto
- EPR, Extended Producer’s Responsibility With EPR India authorization, the manufacturer / importer of electronic and electrical products has been given the responsibility to control E-waste by the products after expiry of their lifetime.
- WPC, Wireless Planning & Coordination Imports of radio equipment into India, without prior permission from WPC, will be confiscated by Customs at point of entry.
- LMPC, Legal Metrology & Packaged Commodity Registration For import of any pre-packed commodities commodity to distribute or sell Then he need to apply for packer / manufacturer registration
Legal, Standard and Specific Documents Required
- Commercial Invoice
- Packing list
- KYC Documents Required by The CHA for Custom Clearance.
- GST (LUT)/ IGST declaration
- Export License (If required)
- AD Code on (Bank Letter Head)
- MSME Certificate (If required)
- RCMC/EPC Certificate (If required)
- AA (DEEC)/ DFIA/ EPCG/ EOU License For Export Benefits (incentive) (As an option the Exporter may Choose)
- Any other Documents required to in this Consignment.
Certificates From The Concerned Departments
In relation to the following items you will need to obtain certain certificates from the concern department, which we have provided you below :
- Registration From Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) (For Food/Edible Import Consignments) (if required)
- Plant and Protection Quarantine Certificate/ import permit plus Fumigation treatment Certificate are required for the import of plant material (For seeds, plant and plant thereof) (if required)
- Animal Quarantine Certificate (A&Q) Required import in india (For animal, animal parts, animal feed, etc. ) (if required)
- CDRUG – ADC Assistant Drug Controller(ADC) (is mandatory for the import of drugs/bulk drugs, etc.) (if required)
- SCOMET – Special Chemical organism, material Equipment, Technology.
- PSI – Pre Shipments Inspection. (if required)
- Certificate of origin.
- APEDA – Agriculture and processed food products Export development authority.
- FUMIGATION (if required)
- WILD LIFE (if required)